Reporting crimes

Unfortunately from time to time, crimes are committed on the Rowley Hills, with vandalism being by far the most common type. In the past, damage has been caused to the cairn on the Wildlife Trust’s Portway Hill reserve, and to waymarker posts; scrambling bikes also damage footpaths and disturb the wildlife. Fires and fly-tipping are also occasional problems.

If you witness a crime being committed on the Rowley Hills, we encourage you to report it, even if it seems minor. The information below is taken from the Police website, but to summarise:

  • If you see a crime in progress, e.g. vandalism, people setting fires, or people on scrambling bikes, call 999.
  • If you see the signs of a crime that has already been committed, e.g. damage caused by vandalism or scrambling bikes, or a fire burning after the offender has left the scene, call 101. This is the ‘non-emergency’ number but if the police receive more than five calls to this number about the same incident, they are obliged to carry out an investigation.

Emergency calls – When to call the 999 number

999 should only be used in an emergency. An emergency is when someone is at risk of getting injured, bring threatened or a crime or is being committed and is in progress.
The police should only be called on 999 when:

  • There is a danger to life or a risk of injury being caused imminently. Examples include serious road accidents, assaults or serious disorders
  • A crime is in progress. Examples include assault, burglary, and theft or if an offender is still on scene, or has just left the scene.
  • Police attendance is required immediately such as to prevent a breach of peace, someone acting suspiciously or someone who is about to commit an offence.

Do not call 999 for calls which are not an emergency. It will tie up an operator and delay a police response to someone who may actually require the police, but is unable to get through.

Non-emergency calls – When to call the 101 number

The non-emergency number for the Metropolitan police is 101. An operator is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to deal with your enquiry. This number should be used for all other enquires, advice on police matters and to report crimes which have already happened, where there is no sign of an offender. The Tividale PCSO, Chris Hickman, can be reached by giving his personal contact number 8516004 to the operator when you call 101.

More info here: